- very old
"an ancient mariner"
- belonging to times long past especially of the historical period before the fall of the Western Roman Empire
"ancient civilizations such as those of the Etruscans and Sumerians"
- a person who lived in ancient times
- Oh, that's ancient history!
- Do you like ancient history?
- Democracy originated in Ancient Greece.
- Leipzig is an ancient city.
- This is an ancient law.
- I like learning ancient languages.
- There are many ancient shrines in Tokyo.
- She has an ancient family name.
- We discovered relics of an ancient civilization.
- That castle was built in ancient times.
- Petroleum has been important since ancient times.
- There are many ancient customs in Japan.
- Modern Hebrew is easier than Ancient Hebrew.
- Cats were sacred animals in ancient Egypt.
- Achilles was an ancient Greek hero.