- destroying bacteria or inhibiting their growth
- any drug that destroys bacteria or inhibits their growth
- any case of a contagious disease in pig holdings for which a treatment with antibiotic or other antibacterial drugs is indicated, shall be reported to the competent veterinary authorities without delay and before treatment is commenced,
- In addition, such products of animal origin which contain nitrofurans used as antibacterial substances are excluded from feed for farmed animals, since they are category 2 animal by-products in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 1774/2002 of the European Parliament and of the Council .
- On 26 February 2007, in the light of a report published by the World Health Organisation listing kanamycin and neomycin as ‘critically important antibacterial agents for human medicine and for risk management strategies of non-human use’, the European Medicines Agency issued a statement highlighting the therapeutic relevance of both antibiotics in human and veterinary medicine.