entailing great loss or sacrifice
- Is eating healthy more costly?
- He made many costly purchases.
- Parking fines are very costly.
- That was a costly mistake.
- It is costly and politically difficult to continue this conflict.
- The broccoli is either costly or of poor quality.
- With his income, he cannot afford the costly dinners.
- Salt was a rare and costly commodity in ancient times.
- Why did you get such a costly dictionary?
- This computer will prove costly in the long run.
- It had been very costly in lives, money, and supplies.
- The Japanese distribution system, characterized by layers of wholesale, is complex and costly.
- In this democratic age of ours men clamour for what is popularly considered the best, regardless of their feelings. They want the costly, not the refined; the fashionable, not the beautiful.
- The frantic shouts and screams of the excited household and guests made the confusion indescribable when it was found that scarcely anything of the costly building could be saved.
- The superior gratification derived from the use and contemplation of costly and supposedly beautiful products is, commonly, in great measure a gratification of our sense of costliness masquerading under the name of beauty.