- an independent nonpartisan federal agency that acts as the investigative arm of Congress making the executive branch accountable to Congress and the government accountable to citizens of the United States
- GAO Report to the Chairman and Ranking Minority Member, Subcommittee on Energy and water Development, Committee on Appropriations, House of Representatives Nuclear Waste July 2005.
- A more recent report by the United States Government Accountability Office (GAO) reviewed the Department of Energy's cost reduction target for nuclear clean-up.
- The GAO report stated that the Department of Energy is still expecting significant cost reductions of the initial target of 50 billion USD.
- The GAO report identified that as at March 2005 the Department of Energy was on track or ahead of schedule for many of the 16 clean-up activities it measures and behind schedule for three challenging and costly activities.