- a trophy made of gold (or having the appearance of gold) that is usually awarded for winning first place in a competition
- I won the gold medal.
- He won a gold medal.
- She won a gold medal.
- He's been awarded a gold medal once.
- Carl showed me the gold medal.
- He made a medal of gold.
- It was the first gold medal that she had won.
- We congratulated him on winning a gold medal.
- They awarded him a gold medal for his achievement.
- The Japanese team won the gold medal for this competition.
- The Japan team won the gold medal in the game.
- In Olympic competitions, a gold medal is for first place, a silver medal for second, and a bronze medal is for third place.
- We cried banzai at the news that he won the gold medal.