- to collaborate with a view to communicating the discussion and common findings to the public;
- The substitution process was enhanced by public discussion on quality standards for drinking water and the subsequent adoption of the European Drinking Water Directive in 1998.
- support collaboration among public and private organisations active in the areas of higher education, training and youth with a view to encouraging discussion and exchange of experience on policy issues;
- Launching the discussion between the private and public sectors in the EU on the security challenges associated with the progress in bio-sciences and bio-technology research and on the appropriate measures to be adopted at the national, regional or global level to address those challenges, and in particular concerning the oversight of science, education, awareness-raising and the development of codes of conduct for the bio-sciences and bio-technology industry, as well as encouraging a discussion on the enhancement of international cooperation and assistance in the area of disease surveillance, detection, diagnostics with a view to identifying concrete assistance needs;
- In the interests of homogeneous interpretation by the EFTA Surveillance Authority and the EC Commission of Articles 53 and 54 of the Agreement and of Articles 81 and 82 of the Treaty, the EFTA Surveillance Authority and the competent authorities of the EFTA States may also be allowed to participate in meetings of the network of public authorities referred to in recital 15 of Council Regulation (EC) No 1/2003 for the purposes of discussion of general policy issues only.