- (of a plant) having a lush and unchecked growth
"a rampant growth of weeds"
- unrestrained and violent
- The rampant sickness spread to many countries.
- There are many latent gays among rampant homophobes.
- Fiscal austerity is considered to be an answer to the rampant inflation.
- The racial prejudice that used to be rampant in America has, to a considerable degree, metamorphosed into cultural prejudice. Those infected will say of a Black friend: "She's different"--meaning the cultural stereotypes they find objectionable do not apply.