- a sample grabbed at random
- a sample in which every element in the population has an equal chance of being selected
- The opinion poll was based on a random sample of adults.
- Size of the random sample:
- A random sample shall be drawn from each lot.
- Expenditure in reference year audited for the random sample
- Expenditure from complementary sample and expenditure for random sample not in reference year.
- Where the random sample covers more than one Fund or programme, the information is provided for the whole sample.
- The results of the audits on the complementary sample shall be analysed separately from those of the random sample.
- The method applied must ensure a random selection of the sample.
- A random sample shall be taken from each lot according to the requirements of the TSI.
- Information relating to the random sample should be distinguished from that related to other samples.
- Amount and percentage (error rate) of irregular expenditure in random sample 
- Indication of the 12 month (reference) period from which the random sample was drawn.
- An equal quantity of produce taken at random from the primary sample.
- on a random sample of cloacal swabs from at least 60 birds in each flock;
- Amount and percentage (error rate) of irregular expenditure in random sample