- of or relating to or characteristic of Sicily or the people of Sicily
- A woman in movement clothed in what resembles a bikini is drawn on a Sicilian mosaic from 5th century Rome.
- to certain undertakings (Sicilian agricultural undertakings)
- Revenue from corporate taxes paid by Sicilian companies accrue to the Region of Sicily.
- Lastly, the Commission noted that the measure discriminates between ‘Sicilian’ and ‘non-Sicilian’ companies in so far as it prevents companies with their registered office in another Member State benefiting from the aid.
- The Sicilian Regional Department of Transport and Communications subsequently announced an open tendering procedure on 21 October 2002 for the award of maritime connection services of public interest using high-speed passenger craft to and between the Sicilian minor islands.
- Article 60(1) of Regional Law No 17/2004 confers an advantage only on Sicilian cooperatives, thereby excluding from the possible beneficiaries under the scheme Sicilian firms operating in all sectors and not in the form of cooperatives.
- In October 1998 Sicilian farmers had undertaken the commitments in question, thus incurring expenditure and losing income.
- In fact, according to the notification, the measure would grant operating aid to Sicilian cooperatives and to security firms.
- They stressed that the average Sicilian security firm pays a higher rate of IRAP than the average firm operating elsewhere in Italy because the labour costs/net output value ratio for Sicilian security firms is on average higher than elsewhere in Italy and because of the rigidity of Sicilian labour market, which is characterised by low manpower turnover.
- In the notification, the Italian authorities argued that Sicilian firms are structurally disadvantaged because Sicily is an outermost island remote from the ‘continental economic centres’.
- Siremar operates year-round connections with the three islands of the Egadi archipelago to the north-west of Sicily from the Sicilian port of Trapani, using one mixed (passenger/vehicle) vessel and two high-speed craft.
- In fact, according to the notification, the measure would grant operating aid to Sicilian companies meeting the criteria indicated at points 14 and 17 and to companies operating in the Euro-Mediterranean Financial Services and Insurance Centre.
- Furthermore, the Italian authorities claimed that the prevalence of micro enterprises resulted in higher financing costs and greater labour intensity; labour and debt costs constitute a large part of the IRAP's tax base, thereby placing Sicilian companies at a disadvantage.
- The Aeolian islands, which are home to 12000 permanent residents, 9000 of them on the main island of Lipari, are served by five connections operated by Siremar from the Sicilian port of Milazzo.
- The measures stem from the implementation by the Region of Sicily of the tax autonomy granted by Articles 36 and 38 of the Sicilian Regional Statute, which ranks as a constitutional act.