- in a manner that is pleasing to the senses
"she smiled softly"
- with low volume
"speak softly but carry a big stick"
"the radio was playing softly"
- used as a direction in music; to be played relatively softly
- The teacher speaks softly.
- Tom spoke softly.
- Tom chuckled softly.
- They spoke softly.
- Tom whistled softly.
- Tom laughed softly.
- Tom is crying softly.
- She sang the song softly.
- She softly stole out of the room.
- It rains softly on the town.
- It rains softly on the city.
- The mother laid her baby on the bed softly.
- I walked softly for fear of waking the baby.
- He spoke softly to the men around him.
- You speak so softly that I cannot quite hear what you say.