- bitter conflict; heated often violent dissension
- Strife is the rock on which the party split.
- Marriage, in peace, is this world's paradise; in strife, this life's purgatory.
- war, civil war, revolution, rebellion, insurrection, or civil strife arising there from, or any hostile act by or against a belligerent power,
- In the event of unforeseen and duly justified needs or circumstances related to natural disasters, civil strife or crises, and which cannot be funded under Regulation (EC) No 1717/2006 or Regulation (EC) No 1257/96, the Commission shall adopt special measures not provided for in the strategy papers or multiannual indicative programmes (hereinafter referred to as ‘special measures’).