a state lacking normal awareness of the self or environment
- I sank into unconsciousness.
- Prolonged unconsciousness
- Very short unconsciousness (minutes) Prolonged unconsciousness Coma
- Very short unconsciousness (minutes)
- An electrical hazard may cause an electric shock with unconsciousness and, subsequently, a fire which may damage the lungs when the unconscious person inhales the smoke;
- A deeply unconscious animal can be exsanguinated, but drugs which paralyse muscles before unconsciousness occurs, drugs with curariform effects and electrocution without passage of current through the brain, should not be used without prior anaesthesia.