- a religion or sect that is generally considered to be unorthodox, extremist, or false
"it was a satanic cult"
- In the religious-cult trial, the ambitious lawyer will represent the cult leader.
- That religious cult has got some pretty off the wall ideas.
- The townsfolk were convinced that the string of murders was tied to a satanic cult.
- There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."