- beschuldigde; iemand die beschuldigd wordt; persoon die beschuldigd wordt; iemand die gedagvaard is; iemand die verdacht wordt
- a person or institution against whom an action is brought in a court of law; the person being sued or accused
- Tom is the defendant.
- Will the defendant please rise?
- The defendant stays in custody.
- The defendant has no prior convictions.
- The defendant is free to go.
- The defendant was granted an appeal.
- The defendant was sentenced to death.
- The defendant was found not guilty by reason of insanity.
- The decision was in favor of the defendant.
- The prosecution condemned the defendant for kidnapping a child.
- The presiding judge sentenced the defendant to death.
- The defendant appealed against the sentence without hesitation.
- The defendant has no history of drug abuse
- The defendant will appeal to a higher court.
- Today's arraignment hearing offers the defendant his first opportunity to state his case personally.