- the body of people who are citizens of a particular government
"governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed"
- The king governed the country.
- Spain once governed the Philippine Islands.
- The park is governed by the city.
- The mayor governed the city very wisely.
- The interactions are governed by rules.
- The country was governed by a French noble family.
- The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
- The leader governed his country for more than 50 years.
- India was governed by Great Britain for many years.
- That island was governed by France at one time.
- The most important feature of all games is that they are governed by rules.
- The rise and fall of the sea is governed by the moon.
- Men are rather reasoning than reasonable animals, for the most part governed by the impulse of passion.
- Those who labour with their minds govern others; those who labour with their strength are governed by others.
- This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without regards to conflicts of laws principles.