to hold off
- resist and fight to a standoff
- We can't hold the enemy off much longer.
- Hold on tight, otherwise you will fall off.
- Our professor promised to hold off on the final exam for another week.
- I suggest that we hold off on making a decision until all bids are in.
- In the event of the compressed air supply being disrupted or the power supply failing, it shall be possible to stop and hold a train with a normal load (as defined in clause 126.96.36.199) on a 35‰ gradient by using the friction brake alone, even if one distributor valve is switched off, for at least two hours.
- .6 Doors giving direct access to special category spaces which are power-operated and automatically closed need not be equipped with alarms and remote-release mechanisms required in .4.2 and .4.3. CLASS B, C AND D SHIPS CONSTRUCTED ON OR AFTER 1 JANUARY 2003: Instead of .4 the following paragraph .4a shall apply: 4a. Fire doors in main vertical zone bulkheads, galley boundaries and stairway enclosures other than power-operated watertight doors and those which are normally locked, shall satisfy the following requirements: .1 the doors shall be self-closing and be capable of closing against an angle of inclination of up to 3,5 ° opposing closure; .2 the approximate time of closure for hinged fire doors shall be no more than 40 seconds and no less than 10 seconds from the beginning of their movement with the ship in upright position. The approximate uniform rate of closure for sliding fire doors shall be of no more than 0,2 m/s and no less than 0,1 m/s with the ship in the upright position; .3 the doors shall be capable of remote release from the continuously manned central control station, either simultaneously or in groups and shall be capable of release also individually from a position at both sides of the door. Release switches shall have an on-off function to prevent automatic resetting of the system; .4 hold-back hooks not subject to central control station release are prohibited; .5 a door closed remotely from the central control station shall be capable of being reopened at both sides of the door by local control. After such local opening the door shall automatically close again; .6 indication shall be provided at the fire door indicator panel in the continuously manned central control station whether each of the remote-released doors are closed;