- the United States (especially the northern states during the American Civil War)
- a location in the northern part of a country, region, or city
- the region of the United States lying to the north of the Mason-Dixon line
- the direction corresponding to the northward cardinal compass point
- situated in or facing or moving toward or coming from the north
"artists like north light"
"the north portico"
- We went due north.
- Where's the North?
- We're going north.
- The bus was heading north.
- Look, it's the North Star.
- The boys have gone north.
- Tom lives in North Carolina.
- The weather vane points north.
- This street runs due north.
- People throughout the north were angry.
- The Battle of North Africa was over.
- The compass pointer always seeks north.
- There is bad weather in the north.
- Slowly the allies advanced north through Italy.
- In 1950, North Korea invaded South Korea.