- an agent that operates some apparatus or machine
"the operator of the switchboard"
- This is the operator.
- Operator, we were cut off.
- Operator. Which extension would you like.
- Call the operator at 104 then.
- The operator put me through to Canada.
- I hear that you yourself are quite the smooth operator.
- Could you dial up the operator for me?
- The operator put me through to New York.
- Operator, I'm trying to get through to Boston.
- Please hang up and the operator will call you back.
- The telephone operator asked the caller to hold on until a connection was made.
- There are highs and lows in life, said the elevator operator.
- Despite "No Smoking" signs, the boat operator was brazenly smoking all the time.
- The ship's captain ordered the radio operator to send a distress signal.
- Before the ship sank, the radio operator broadcast one final message - SOS!