- the first line of a paragraph that is set as the last line of a page or column
- a young animal without a mother
- someone or something who lacks support or care or supervision
- I'm an orphan.
- Tom was an orphan.
- They adopted the orphan.
- Tom is an orphan.
- He adopted the orphan.
- He received an orphan.
- He is a war orphan.
- People took pity on the orphan.
- The couple decided to adopt an orphan.
- The orphan wept with grief over his misfortune.
- He became an orphan when he was ten.
- The orphan children were told to behave themselves.
- Love? What's that? I'm an orphan. I've never known love.
- A child whose parents are dead is called an orphan.
- It is said that she looked after the orphan.