- verdediging; het pleiten in een rechtszaak
- (law) a statement in legal and logical form stating something on behalf of a party to a legal proceeding
- Have you been threatened or coerced into pleading guilty?
- It's no use pleading because they'll never give in.
- Tom served five days in jail last year after pleading guilty to drunken driving.
- Tom gave up running for mayor after pleading guilty to drunken driving.
- She took out a full-page ad in the newspaper pleading for help in finding her kidnapped daughter.
- FORM AND CONTENT OF THE PRINCIPAL TYPES OF PLEADING
- Each paragraph of the pleading must be numbered.
- In addition, the following information must appear on the first page of any pleading:
- The following information must appear on the first page of the pleading:
- Paragraph 1 shall apply to any further pleading following such a reply.
- the pages of the pleading must be numbered consecutively in the top right-hand corner.
- the name of the party on whose behalf the pleading is lodged.
- The signature of the agent or lawyer acting for the party concerned must appear at the end of the pleading.
- the category of pleading (defence, reply, rejoinder, application for leave to intervene, statement in intervention, plea of inadmissibility, observations on …, replies to questions, etc.);
- If, for the convenience of the Court, copies of judgments, legal writings or legislation are annexed to a pleading, they must be separate from the other annexes.