- any genre of music having wide appeal (but usually only for a short time)
- Young people like popular music.
- This music is popular with young people.
- His music was not popular at home.
- Some people like classical music, while others like popular music.
- What kind of music has been popular lately?
- Tom is quite knowledgeable about modern popular music.
- In the 1960s, folk music was very popular.
- As is often the case with educated people, he likes classical music better than popular music.
- Roger Miller's "Dang Me" was a hit with country music fans and with popular music fans too. It sold millions of copies.
- The San Remo Italian music festival has a special general resonance in Italy and has a generally recognised, distinct cultural importance for Italian cultural identity as a ‘popular culture’ event forming part of the Italian cultural tradition.
- The Ivo Van Damme Memorial, part of the Golden League, has a special general resonance in Belgium given that it is an international highlevel athletics event held in Belgium to commemorate a great Belgian athlete and combining sport and music, so it is very popular with the general public.