- riem om rijdier te besturen; teugel; riem of koord, stel riemen of koorden waarmee men een rij- of trekdier bestuurt; riem om een trekdier te sturen
- one of a pair of long straps (usually connected to the bit or the headpiece) used to control a horse
- any means of control
"he took up the reins of government"
- She kept a tight rein on the purse strings.
- Being a teacher you must learn to keep a tight rein on your emotions.
- In order to determine whether the measure confers a competitive advantage on SMVP, the Commission must assess whether State intervention places the undertaking in a better situation than if market forces had been given free rein.
- Haley, ‘China's Specialty Steel Subsidies: Massive, Pervasive and Illegal’ by the Specialty Steel Industry of North America and ‘The China Syndrome: How Subsidies and Government Intervention Created the World's Largest Steel Industry’ by Wiley Rein & Fielding LLP, July 2006.
- For instance ‘Money for Metal: A detailed Examination of Chinese Government Subsidies to its Steel Industry’ by Wiley Rein LLP, July 2007, ‘China Government Subsidies Survey’ by Anne Stevenson-Yang, February 2007, ‘Shedding Light on Energy Subsidies in China: An Analysis of China's Steel Industry from 2000-2007’ by Usha C.V.