- niet hartelijk of toeschietelijk
- characteristic of or befitting a person in authority
- being in accord with established forms and conventions and requirements (as e.g. of formal dress)
"pay one's formal respects"
- logically deductive
- (of spoken and written language) adhering to traditional standards of correctness and without casual, contracted, and colloquial forms
"the paper was written in formal English"
- They exchanged formal greetings.
- Do we dress formal?
- You are so formal.
- Do you sell formal wear?
- Don't be so formal, please!
- How formal is this ceremony?
- Tom had little formal education.
- I utterly despise formal writing!
- Formal dress must be worn.
- He had almost no formal education.
- He is very formal with us.
- You don't have to be so formal.
- We need some formal instruction in literature.
- I want to lodge a formal complaint.
- You need not prepare a formal speech.