- the number of inhabitants (either the total number or the number of a particular race or class) in a given place (country or city etc.)
"people come and go, but the population of this town has remained approximately constant for the past decade"
"the African-American population of Salt Lake City has been increasing"
- The population is increasing.
- Sweden's population is growing.
- The population is growing.
- The population remains stationary.
- The population is dying off.
- The world's population recently passed 7 billion.
- What is the population of New York?
- The whole population turned out in welcome.
- The population of this city has decreased.
- This town is increasing in population.
- The population explosion is a serious problem.
- Auckland has a population of a million.
- How large is the population of Tokyo?
- The population of this country is diminishing.
- The city has a large population.