to shut out
prevent from entering; shut out
- I'll shut you out.
- These tree shut out the view.
- Shut up or you'll be thrown out.
- Shut up, or I'll knock you out.
- I shut the window to keep the mosquitoes out.
- Don't forget to shut the doors before going out.
- Shut up. If you don't, you'll be thrown out.
- Shut the windows and keep that cold wind out.
- I wish you would shut the door when you go out.
- She put her hands over her ears to shut out the noise.
- I tried to shut out the noise of the traffic, but it was of no avail.
- Since it is bad when it rains, when you come out of the room, please shut the window.
- The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason: The Morning Daylight appears plainer when you put out your Candle.
- Just then the door opened a little way, and a creature with a long beak put its head out for a moment and said: "No admittance till the week after next!" and shut the door again with a bang.
- It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn’t feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.