- the act of earnestly supporting or encouraging
- Rejecting the urging of his physician father to study medicine, Hawking chose instead to concentrate on mathematics and physics.
- Urging the adoption of measures to discourage withdrawal from the said Treaty;
- urging the formulation of guarantees of access to nuclear fuel services, or to fuel itself, subject to appropriate conditions;
- welcoming the progress made and the efforts undertaken by possessor states to meet the deadlines while urging them to overcome delays in destruction,
- drawing attention to the potential implications for international peace and security of withdrawal from the NPT. Urging the adoption of measures to discourage withdrawal from the said Treaty;
- urging the Zangger Committee and the Nuclear Suppliers Group to share their experience on export controls, so that all States can draw on the arrangements of the Zangger Committee and the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) guidelines;
- On 23 December 2006, the United Nations Security Council adopted Resolution 1737 (2006) (UNSCR 1737 (2006)), urging Iran to suspend without further delay some proliferation sensitive nuclear activities and introducing certain restrictive measures against Iran.
- urging the Zangger Committee and the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) to share their experience on export controls, so that all states can draw on the arrangements of the Zangger Committee and the NSG guidelines and their implementation;
- In December 2007, the United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution 62/41 on the implementation of the Convention, inviting all States that have not signed it to accede without delay, urging all States that have signed but not ratified the Convention to ratify it without delay and urging all States, where in a position to do so, to promote adherence to the Convention through bilateral, sub-regional, regional and multilateral contacts, outreach, seminars and other means,
- drawing attention to the potential implications for international peace and security of withdrawal from the NPT; urging the international community to respond to a notice of withdrawal and its consequences with purpose and urgency; stressing the requirement for the United Nations Security Council to act promptly and, in particular, to address without delay any State Party’s notice of withdrawal from the NPT; urging States Parties to promote the adoption of measures in this regard, including arrangements for maintaining adequate IAEA safeguards on all nuclear materials, equipment, technologies and facilities developed for peaceful purposes;
- Aware of the planned legislative changes in the energy sector in Hungary, Commissioner Kroes sent a letter to Minister Kóka on 17 October 2006 urging the Hungarian Government to settle in the new legislation the question of the PPAs and potential compensatory measures in line with EU law.
- The Commission, having regard to the SAFA reports, entered on 25 May 2009 into a formal consultation with the competent authorities of Egypt (ECAA), expressing serious concerns about the safety of the operations of this carrier and urging the carrier and its competent authorities pursuant to Article 7 of Regulation (EC) No 2111/2005 to take measures to satisfactorily resolve the detected safety deficiencies.
- On 20 February 2007, the United Nations Security Council adopted Resolution 1744 (2007) authorising Member States of the African Union to establish for a period of six months a mission in Somalia and urging UN Member States to provide personnel, equipment and services if required, for the successful deployment of AMISOM.
- The complainants served notice on the Commission for the second time urging it to take steps, indicating again that they would otherwise bring an action for failure to act, by letters dated 13 and 18 February 2004,  and transmitted further letters on 19 May,  10 June and 9 September.
- The European Parliament adopted on 22 May 2008 a resolution on rising food prices in the European Union and the developing countries, urging the Council to ensure coherence of all food-related national and international policies aiming at implementing the right to food.