- characterized by plain blunt honesty
"a downright answer"
"a downright kind of person"
- That's downright dangerous.
- That movie's downright dirty.
- The girl was not downright homely.
- The food industry in China is so downright criminal, that city slickers become part-time farmers.
- There are few, very few, that will own themselves in a mistake, though all the World sees them to be in downright nonsense.
- The Germans have an inhuman way of cutting up their verbs. Now a verb has a hard time enough of it in this world when it's all together. It's downright inhuman to split it up. But that's just what those Germans do. They take part of a verb and put it down here, like a stake, and they take the other part of it and put it away over yonder like another stake, and between these two limits they just shovel in German.