- cause to sheer
"She sheered her car around the obstacle"
"he fell sheer into the water"
- straight up or down without a break
- We survived by sheer luck.
- A calamity was avoided by sheer luck.
- He ran sheer into the wall.
- His face betrayed his sheer puzzlement.
- Leaving the children alone was sheer thoughtlessness.
- It is a sheer waste of time.
- And yet this is sheer hard work.
- She accomplished the task through sheer will.
- Sheer badness is just one of her fine qualities.
- Her success was due to sheer hard work.
- Gina's sheer coldness attracted scads of men with low self-esteem.
- He recalled that a collision had been avoided by sheer luck.
- It was sheer coincidence that Mary and I were on the same train.
- Some birds indulge in aerobatics, seemingly for the sheer pleasure of doing so.
- New York City has long been unusual because of its sheer size.