- a person or thing equal to another in value or measure or force or effect or significance etc
"send two dollars or the equivalent in stamps"
- the atomic weight of an element that has the same combining capacity as a given weight of another element; the standard is 8 for oxygen
- being essentially equal to something
"a wish that was equivalent to a command"
- One dollar is equivalent to 110 yen.
- The two books are equivalent in value.
- His request was equivalent to an order.
- Give me the equivalent in dollars.
- What is the Turkish equivalent of meditation?
- Looking for male equivalent to myself.
- Things that modify nouns (adjective, or adjectival equivalent).
- We cannot find an English equivalent for the Japanese 'giri'.
- Do you know the French equivalent of the word?
- That Japanese word has no equivalent in English.
- A meter is not quite equivalent to a yard.
- Do you know what this word's equivalent is?
- In the United States, a tablespoon is equivalent to three teaspoons.
- The ages of the two children put together was equivalent to that of their father.
- A kilo of ketchup is equivalent to two kilos of tomatoes.