- independent in behavior or thought
- an unbranded range animal (especially a stray calf); belongs to the first person who puts a brand on it
- someone who exhibits great independence in thought and action
- Tom's callsign is Maverick.
- Loss of Worldspan as ‘pricing maverick’
- The merger removes Cogac (GDF Group), which has been a ‘maverick’ in the market, thus leading to non-coordinated effects.
- the merger would eliminate Worldspan as the alleged ‘pricing Maverick’ and therefore lead to post-merger price increases;
- Contrary to what one would expect from a company which is alleged to be a maverick, Worldspan's markets shares do not show general signs of growth.
- In summary, the Commission's in-depth investigation shows that there is insufficient evidence to conclude that Worldspan charges lower prices than its competitors and that it would act as a price maverick.
- Another reason why, according to the notifying party, Worldspan does not qualify as a price maverick, is because its alleged low pricing policy has not allowed Worldspan to aggressively expand its market presence.
- Lastly, tacit coordination between the merged entity and Balfour Beatty seems very unlikely since the market is declining year by year, and VA Tech cannot be described as the maverick which would be taken over and, therefore, make coordination easier.
- Finally, according to the notifying party, Worldspan can not be considered as a price maverick in the EEA, since it acts rather as a price taker than as a price setter.
- A second theory of harm investigated by the Commission relates to Worldspan acting as a ‘price maverick’ in the EEA, charging lower prices than its competitors (Galileo, Sabre and Amadeus).