- the state of being silent (as when no one is speaking)
"there was a shocked silence"
"he gestured for silence"
- keep from expression, for example by threats or pressure
"All dissenters were silenced when the dictator assumed power"
- Her silence surprised me.
- Silence often implies resistance.
- There was a silence.
- Tom drank in silence.
- Silence gives consent.
- His silence surprised me.
- All around is silence.
- They kept silence.
- Silence often implies consent.
- Silence grows like cancer.
- The captain commanded silence.
- Silence in the court!
- They broke the silence.
- The chairperson ordered silence.