- injury to a muscle (often caused by overuse); results in swelling and pain
- The liquid does not strain well.
- Take care not to strain your eyes.
- I want to strain your nerves.
- The rope broke under the strain.
- You'll strain your eyes trying to read in this light.
- Air traffic controllers are under severe mental strain.
- France has banned a strain of genetically modified maize.
- Tom has been under a lot of strain recently.
- The strain has begun to tell on his health.
- The strain is beginning to tell on him.
- He'd been three months in the job and the strain was beginning to tell on him.
- The strain of the last few days was beginning to tell.
- You shouldn't do partial-word searches, since they put a lot of strain on the server.
- When you skateboard, it puts quite a strain on your knees.
- Avoid prolonged use of the console. To help prevent eye strain, take a break of about 15 minutes during every hour of play.