- anything that slows or hinders a process
"she wan not ready to put the brakes on her life with a marriage"
"new legislation will put the brakes on spending"
- an area thickly overgrown usually with one kind of plant
- any of various ferns of the genus Pteris having pinnately compound leaves and including several popular houseplants
- stop travelling by applying a brake
"We had to brake suddenly when a chicken crossed the road"
- The brake didn't work.
- Don't brake suddenly.
- The brake stopped working.
- Press the brake pedal to turn on your brake lights.
- He pressed the brake pedal.
- The brake did not act.
- Tom stepped on the brake.
- The brake doesn't act well.
- I cannot brake! The brakes are broken!
- Brake lightly before making a turn.
- He put his foot on the brake suddenly.
- We must put the brake to further trials.
- The function of the brake is to stop the car.
- The Representative said he will put a brake on spending.
- He didn't brake on time, and ran into a tree.