- to strive with determination
"John is bucking for a promotion"
- Pass the buck.
- I'm tracking a buck.
- I have buck teeth.
- Can you spare a buck?
- I'm just trying to make a buck.
- Don't try to pass the buck.
- The politicians try to pass the buck.
- She is always out to make a buck.
- They're some developers who aim to make a fast buck!
- She wants the most bang for her buck.
- He wants the most bang for his buck.
- Greedy cats are out for a fast buck.
- You can get a lot of bang for your buck at this store.
- On the inquest it was shown that Buck Fanshaw, in the delirium of a wasting typhoid fever, had taken arsenic, shot himself through the body, cut his throat, and jumped out of a four-story window and broken his neck—and after due deliberation, the jury, sad and tearful, but with intelligence unblinded by its sorrow, brought in a verdict of death "by the visitation of God." What could the world do without juries?
- Philippe de Buck