- secure or lock with a bolt
"bolt the door"
- swallow hastily
- a roll of cloth or wallpaper of a definite length
- a sudden abandonment (as from a political party)
- a sliding bar in a breech-loading firearm that ejects an empty cartridge and replaces it and closes the breech
- She stood bolt upright.
- This bolt fits this nut.
- Don't forget to bolt the door.
- This was a bolt from the blue.
- A fool's bolt is soon shot.
- The news hit me like a bolt from the blue.
- Usain Bolt is the fastest man in the world.
- We need a nut that will fit that bolt.
- It came to the president like a bolt of lightning.
- His death was a bolt from the blue.
- This came like a bolt from the blue.
- It was like a bolt out of the blue.
- The news of her sudden death came like a bolt from the blue.
- The gaunt policeman had a bolt-action rifle slung over one shoulder.
- A tap threads the inside of a hole, a die threads the outside of a bolt.