- the partner of an animal (especially a sexual partner)
"he loved the mare and all her mates"
"camels hate leaving their mates"
- informal term for a friend of the same sex
- You left us, mate.
- He is my working mate.
- Where is the mate to this sock?
- The woodpecker is feeding its mate.
- I've got a mate who works there.
- He was dropped because of his running mate.
- My beer was finished off by my room-mate.
- Tigers are in deadly danger each time they want to mate.
- My uncommonly well-made sneaker lasted 5 years. Its mate did not.
- If you mate a horse with an ass you will get a mule.
- We can conjecture that it may be advantageous for a particular bird to be known to its neighbors or its mate.
- You are waiting in vain if you think that one fine day you will wake up and your soul mate will appear in front of your eyes.
- Christopher Columbus was notorious for repeatedly snoozing his alarm clock by hitting it with his fist. Unfortunately, his "alarm clock" was usually his first mate.
- chief mate (stýrimaður),