- make a hole by poking
- Don't poke fun at foreigners.
- Poke the fire. It's going out.
- To poke someone in a wounded spot.
- I don't poke my nose into other people's business.
- Yesterday I bought a pig in a poke.
- I don't mean to poke my nose into your affairs.
- I bought a pig in a poke yesterday.
- Tom was afraid that Mary might poke her eye out, so he told her to be careful.
- There are whole cultures where understatement is bred in the bone. In New England one hears as satisfaction: "It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."